Somerville, New Jersey or Toledo, Ohio; remote locations may be considered
MERIT Controls is seeking a highly motivated, diligent individual for an Applications Engineering Manager position which will perform cross-functionally between our Business Development and Technology Engineering Divisions. The Applications Engineering Manager will use engineering expertise to support sales & marketing; manage quality and compliance for project proposals; and support Merit’s product management by capturing new and changing customer requirements.
Qualified candidates possess strong communication skills combined with technical knowledge to facilitate multiple project level phases. A well organized, agile individual that can operate with a degree of autonomy with overall guidance is desired.
- Coordinate proposal development and submission process
- Manage Sales Engineering team responsible for proposal generation, and grow team as necessary • Review customer requirements and highlight gaps between requirements and standard product • Review and approve proposals before submittal
- Work with Business Development team to ensure Merit is aware of and participating in RFP activity from key customers
- Communicate with customers and end users to identify project requirements and ensure schedule and scope alignment
- Own transition between sales and engineering teams to ensure that requirements identified in proposal phase are communicated to all relevant personnel
- Ensure cost estimating tools are kept up-to-date with input from Project Management Office, including regular updates to align with supplier cost updates
- Become a subject matter expert for Merit’s existing and future products
- Manage continuous improvement efforts for proposal documents and processes • Serve as advisor for unique engineering solutions when necessary
- Support sales and marketing efforts as required. Some travel required to support field and marketing activity.
- Support product roadmap through active engagement with customers and vendors • Support product launch activities and assist with Tradeshows, Conferences and Technical Sales Training or Channel Partner Training activities
- Support creation of sales enablement tools to support growth of the business • Support project management team, including responding to customer inquiries for ongoing projects
- Train associates, including operators, maintenance, engineers, etc. as required
Full Time Position
Travel: up to 25%
Preferred Position Requirements:
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in power plant controls, SCADA, inverter/converter, energy storage, or substation controls.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field i.e. Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering.
- Excellent client interface skills and the ability to collaborate with others
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Sensitivity to problems; ability to tell when something is wrong; able to revise and adapt as necessary
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office software
- Knowledge of electric utility industry infrastructure, regulation, and business structures a plus
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and possessing a high level of integrity
- Ability to synthesize information and data from numerous sources into coherent presentations
- Team player that works well in collaborative situations and start-up environments • Enthusiasm to take on new and challenging tasks
- Strong interest in renewable energy, energy storage and their applications
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, collaborative working environment
- Willingness to travel to customer offices and power plant construction sites
- Sense of humor and social affinity
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
- Sitting/Standing/Flexibility: Ability to stand and sit for 8 or more hours when in an office environment
- Speech/Reading: Ability to speak, read, and write English proficiently and deliver a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Lifting: Ability to lift items weighing up to 25 pounds
- Vision/Hearing: Ability to understand a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Safety: Ability to understand and communicate safety precautions when necessary. Willing to obtain certification in First Aid and CPR, OSHA 10
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.