Clinton, New Jersey or Houston, Texas
Merit Controls is seeking a highly motivated, diligent individual for a Controls Engineer position within our Technology Engineering Division to grow our industry leading SCADA and Controls platform for renewable energy including solar PV, Energy Storage and Wind. The Controls Engineer will work with a cross-functional team to execute SCADA engineering tasks through full design, procurement, development, implementation, and commissioning.
Qualified candidates possess strong communication skills combined with technical knowledge to facilitate multiple project level phases. A well organized, agile individual that can operate with a degree of autonomy with overall guidance is desired.
- Execute the design and development of monitoring and control systems for utility scale renewable energy projects including but not limited to, Solar PV, Battery Energy Storage Systems and Wind.
- Specification and configuration of SCADA, power plant controller, RTU, & IT equipment
- Develop detailed design documentation including System Architecture Diagrams, Device Points List, IP lists, Logic Diagrams, HMI mockups.
- Programming and commissioning PLC controllers, SCADA servers, SCADA historians and HMI’s.
- Deliver project documentation including commissioning documents, as-built drawings, operator manuals and training material.
- Provide technical support to clients for SCADA equipment.
- Coordinate networking equipment configuration including specifying physical interfaces and protocols, assigning IP addresses, and administration of firewall rules.
- Coordinate on-site commissioning and installation support.
- Utilize diagnostic utilities to troubleshoot complex monitoring and control systems.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Work with project management to report project status, risks, and mitigation measures
Travel: up to 20%
Preferred Position Requirements:
- 3-5 years of relevant SCADA technical or engineering experience (experience working within renewable energy including industrial or utility scale PV solar, BESS or Wind desired), or similar technical experience with data collection, databases, and programming & scripting
- Foundational knowledge of a programming language such as C, C++, Java, Python, Structured Text (IEC61131)
- Experience with Inductive Automation Ignition a plus
- Experience with configuring servers, databases, and web applications
- Basic knowledge of fiber optic communication
- Experience with basic PV solar monitoring functions and designs a plus (technical experience in related fields will be considered)
- Knowledge of serial RS-232/RS-485 and Ethernet TCP/IP networking a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering related field i.e. Electrical, Computer Science, Mechanical; Masters’ degree in related fields a plus
- Team player that works well in collaborative situations and start-up environments
- Enthusiasm to take on new and challenging tasks
- Strong interest in renewable energy and its applications
- Strong analytical, quantitative, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced, collaborative working environment
- Willingness to travel
- Sense of humor and social affinity
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
- Sitting/Standing/Flexibility: Ability to stand and sit for 8 or more hours when in an office environment
- Speech/Reading: Ability to speak, read, and write English proficiently and deliver a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Lifting: Ability to lift items weighing up to 25 pounds
- Vision/Hearing: Ability to understand a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form
- Safety: Ability to understand and communicate safety precautions when necessary
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.